Re: Flash is open?

On Fri, 14 May 2010 20:39:58 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Linux, FreeBSD, OSX and other OSs included in that W3C standards? I
>>> think the answer is no... Do you have trust in them?
>>
>> "Linux, FreeBSD, OSX and other OSs" all of them include their own
>> licencing model, whatever it is (closed or open sourced), so I can use
>> the software knowing beforehand what I can (or can't) do with it.
>
> You've talked about W3C recommended standards and not about licenses.

"License" and/or patents are very important if you want to distribute
your work and W3C should care about recommending a technology or
specification that may have a non-clear license or make use of hidden
patended software.

I still remember the Eolas issue that hit Internet Explorer ;-)

>> Do not get me wrong, I'm only saying that if I were a developer, I
>> would have many doubts in choosing a flash format for any of my works.
>
> Developers never forced to use Flash/SWF or any other standards. If you
> have any doubts in SWF just use other format.

What I wanted to say is that in the event I had to choose a format for
delivering my work, I -for sure- wouldn't go for Flash, although Adobe
claims is "open".

OTOH, as many others have pointed out, Flash format maybe now open, but
"players" are still in a very bad shape (and I am not talking about Gnash/
swfdec, but Adobe's own flash player for linux). It's crappy and buggy.

So the reality is that anyone wanting to view a flash based site has to
have Adobe Flash player installed as is the only one able to fully
support all the features listed in their "open" specs.

And the same situation goes for Adobe Reader for Linux. I dunno what is
going on with Adobe but true is that I dislike the path is taking that
company :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón