Trying to get a kernel patch included in Squeeze

Hello Debian Users,

A regression introduced in kernel 2.6.30, where the beeps produced by
the BIOS on power chord removal are disabled[1] was recently fixed for
2.6.33 which AFAIK will *not* be in Squeeze.

I'm trying to get this issue fixed for Squeeze, but, since I'm aware
that the Debian kernel team doesn't have a lot of time, it would be very
nice to be able to just provide a bug report with the patch to apply.

Since my laptop is one of the affected models I tried to test the patch
provided for 2.6.33[2], following the "rebuild official kernel"
how-to[3], but the patch doesn't seem to apply:

- if I follow the guideline and just drop it under
  debian/patches/bugfixes/all and add the relevant 5+beep.1 series file
  the patch seems to be ignored (no mention in the output of
  'make -f debian/rules source-all')
- if I try to apply it manually it failes:

amp@think:linux-2.6-2.6.32$ patch -p0 < debian/patches/bugfix/all/thinkpad-beep.patch
patching file b/sound/pci/hda/patch_analog.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 71.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 165.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 203.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 3482.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 3523.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 3655.
6 out of 6 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file b/sound/pci/hda/patch_analog.c.rej

Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, at this point I'm assuming
that the patch will not apply to 2.6.32, but I have no ideea how
difficult it would be to backport it. Comments?

This issue is not a showstopper for me as I can just use the 2.6.29
kernel or wait for a fixed 2.6.33 in experimental (and unstable after
the release), but it seems worthwhile to have it fixed for squeeze.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4BAE0730.8020509%40gmail.com&forum_name=alsa-user
[2] https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=alpine.LNX.2.00.1003261047210.3925%40eeebox2.perex-int.cz
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

Regards,