Re: Password messed up

On Thu, 06 May 2010 15:11:17 -0500, Don wrote:

> Reviewing the three files suggested above...
>
> I have included what I feel might be the significant areas of interest
> (the "tails") for these 3 files below.  They were observed after the
> computer log in GUI screen was waiting for several minutes.  An attempt
> to log in the "dummy" user was made once.  Incidentally, when "login"
> button is clicked, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and then the
> GUI log in screen returns awaiting password again.  Following this one
> attempt, a CLI/terminal/tty login was performed for root.
>
> /var/log/syslog (partial):
>
> May  6 14:24:36 localhost kdm: :0[2262]: Cannot open ConsoleKit session:
> Unable to open session: Launch helper exited with unknown return code
> 127

(...)

Ugh... I don't like the above message (kdm, consolekit and "unknown
return code") :-/

> /home/don/.xsession-errors (partial):

(...)

> findServiceByDesktopPath: systemsettings not found nepomukserver: Fatal
> IO error: client killed kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children. kded4: Fatal IO error: client
> killed
> kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children. kdeinit4: Exit. klauncher:
> Exiting on signal 1
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 2377, errno = 32
> kglobalaccel: Fatal IO error: client killed kdeinit4: Fatal IO error:
> client killed kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children. kdeinit4: sending
> SIGTERM to children. kdeinit4: Exit.
>

> So, my rather uneducated guess is that the problem is with "kdeinit4"
>
> Again, hints, suggestions welcome.  If more info is needed, let me know.

I dunno how to proceed. It seems something (don't know "what" exactly) is
failing/broken in an odd manner ("kdm" is the kde login manager,
"consolekit" is in charge of login sessions, and "kdeinit4" is used to
start many of the KDE programs).

At login screen, jump to a tty console and login as root (or with your
usual user). Then, run "startx" and check for the output.

To bypass a possible "kdm" problem, you could try to use another login
manager ("gdm" or "xdm") and see how it goes :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón