Re: Password messed up

On Tue, 04 May 2010 10:55:31 -0500, Don AE5K wrote:

> Thanks Camaleón for the ideas.  Here are my results:
>
> 1. The "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Layout" yields...
>
> (==) ServerLayout "Layout0"
>
> and a few lines below that I see "Keyboard0"

Mmmm, I guess we have to interpret that as Xorg is using the default
keyboard layout (en).

> 2. Next I tried typing into the login screen's user name field.  All was
> displayed normally and correct, including my full password that I typed
> in that field.  I believe that shows the keyboard is being mapped
> properly in X.

O.K.

> 3. I added a new user "dummy" with password "123456".  Can log in OK in
> CLI mode, but NOT OK with the KDE graphical login (the new user name of
> dummy did appear in the list of users on left side of screen).

Mmm...

> It appears that the problem lies elsewhere from the keyboard mapping.

Yes, all tests seems to indicate that.

So review your "/var/log/syslog", "/var/log/auth.log" and "~/.xession-
errors", there should be something in there saying why the login fails :-?

What desktop are you using (GNOME, KDE...)?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón