Newsreaders (was: Re: How to flush cache of certain disk?)

On Thu, 06 May 2010 19:04:48 +0300, Alexander Batischev wrote:

> On 6 May 2010 18:53, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Mmm, I still fail to see your point for performing a "sync" operation.
>> Umount won't allow the device to be unmounted if it's busy (writing/
>> reading data) so it's a single and safer operation (umount -> unplug).
>
> Now, I run sync manually, then unplug device, and after it umount are
> ran by udev. Actually there's no certain point in doing so: I can run
> umount instead of sync as well. The only reason why it's done like this
> is the following: I just copied this configuration from somebody's blog
> and didn't modify it (well, I *almost* didn't).

Understood :-)

>> I also have a Gmail account and used webmail interface not so time ago,
>> so I am aware of the annoyance to have to delete the OP's e-mail
>> address when replying in some lists... I switched to Mutt (for private
>> e-mails) and use a news reader (for mailing lists). No more webmail
>> O:-)
>
> Yeah, that's exactly what I'm intended to do: switch to mutt. What news
> reader do you mean? Is it some kind of plugin for mutt, or is it
> separate application at all? Excuse me for offtop, you can answer
> privately if you want.

For Mutt, there is an external patch¹ (it does not come integrated with
debian mutt package) to allow using it as newsreader but I have not
tested that :-?

I am using a separate application for newsreader ("Pan²").

I'm very happy with Mutt but as per Pan, I could not say the same :-). I
find it a bit memory hog (48 MiB) and the version I am running has an
annoying bug that makes me appear like I am writing from a timezone of GMT
+0000 (when someone replies to my posts), which is wrong (my zone is
currently GMT+0200). Pan takes the timezone of the server sending the e-
mail, instead the user's one. Nothing serious.

¹ http://www.fiction.net/blong/programs/mutt/#nntp
² http://pan.rebelbase.com/

Greetings,

--