curious gnome desktop behaviour after upgrade

Hello,

I am using squeeze on a dell laptop, and am using Gnome, as came with
the standard installation.

Yesterday, after a big “safe-upgrade” my desktop started to behave curiously.

When I open a console on the GUI and minimize it, it appears to go to
the bottom right corner, and then disappears completely.
Then the Panel on the top panel no longer functions.
Icons on the desktop continue to function.

If I open another app, all of the buttons on the top panel disappear,
except for the volume button.
Then the bottom panel becomes completely bank.

Any ideas what has happened?

John