Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 07:31, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
From: John <JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com>

> On 01/05/10, Marc Shapiro (mshapiro_42@yahoo.com) wrote:
| When I try to connect, wicd says that it is 'Putting interface up...', 'Validating
| authentication...', 'Obtaining IP address...' then it times out and says
| 'Connection failed: Unable to Get IP Address.'
|
| Does anyone have any
| idea what is wrong, or what config file, or error log I should look at to get
| more information?
|

> I have exactly the same problem on a 600X
> ThinkPad, using an IBM High Rate Wireless LAN PC Card, but not on a
> T42pThinkPad, both running upto date sid.

> I have no clue what causes
> the problem, but I have found a clumsyworkaround by trial and error: when I
> reset the router (LinksysWRT54GL) either to WPA from WPA2, or back the other
> way, wic managesto connect the next try. It doesn't seem to matter whether
> wic islooking for a password or a pre-shared key, so long as the
> theprotocol is TKIP.  Next time, I have to reset the router back
> theother way. No further change required -- until the next time, when
> therouter needs to be reset _again_!.

I> t's a nuisance and a > puzzlement. The only clue I get from/var/log/daemon.log is

> dhclient:
> send_packet: Network is unreachable
> dhclient: send_packet: please consult
> README file regarding broadcast address
> (I find nothing helpful in any README
> (in /usr/share/doc/dhcp-client ordhcp-common.)
> After that, ifplugd finds
> the network, and dhclient fails to secure aconnection. Until I reset the
> router and try again.

> Good luck figuring out a better solution.

Well, I am using WEP, not WPA, but that is, essentially, the messages that I get in daemon.log, as well..  I tried to turn WEP off then back on again.  The first time that I tried this, it actually worked.  I was able to connect.  Once I disconnected, however, I could not reconnect, even after turning security off and then on again.  Up until last Monday;s update this was working fine.  On RARE occasions I would have this kind of problem, but simply turning the router off, then back on would fix it.  That no longer works, however.  I will again point out that this same laptop connects to my wireless just fine if I use the OS which must not be named, or if I boot into eeebuntu 3.0.  Also, I can connect from Debian on this laptop with unsecured networks and also with OTHER WEP secured networks.  I tried a different WEP secured network today and it connected automatically, just like it should.  But it still will not connect to my home wireless network.

The other problems that started after Monday's update have since been solved, but this one remains and is quite annoying.  If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

 Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Look at the kernel log (dmesg) to see any associate/de-associate messages.
Also with wep you could easily setup your /etc/network/interfaces to configure your wireless interface without using wicd etc.

For a static connection do the following assuming your wireless is wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address <ip address>
netmask 255.255.255.0