Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless

On 01/05/10, Marc Shapiro (mshapiro_42@yahoo.com) wrote:

| Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 23:24:56 -0700 (PDT)
| From: Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com>
| To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
| Subject: Unable to connect to my home wireless
| 	LDOSUBSCRIBER,LDO_WHITELIST,MDO_CABLE_TV3 autolearn=failed
|  version=3.2.5

| When I try to connect, wicd says that it is 'Putting interface up...', 'Validating authentication...', 'Obtaining IP address...' then it times out and says 'Connection failed: Unable to Get IP Address.'
|
| Does anyone have any idea what is wrong, or what config file, or error log I should look at to get more information?

I have exactly the same problem on a 600X ThinkPad, using an IBM High
Rate Wireless LAN PC Card, but not on a T42pThinkPad, both running up
to date sid.

I have no clue what causes the problem, but I have found a clumsy
workaround by trial and error: when I reset the router (Linksys
WRT54GL) either to WPA from WPA2, or back the other way, wic manages
to connect the next try. It doesn't seem to matter whether wic is
looking for a password or a pre-shared key, so long as the the
protocol is TKIP.  Next time, I have to reset the router back the
other way. No further change required -- until the next time, when the
router needs to be reset _again_!.

It's a nuisance and a puzzlement. The only clue I get from
/var/log/daemon.log is

dhclient: send_packet: Network is unreachable
dhclient: send_packet: please consult README file regarding broadcast address
(I find nothing helpful in any README (in /usr/share/doc/dhcp-client or
dhcp-common.)
After that, ifplugd finds the network, and dhclient fails to secure a
connection. Until I reset the router and try again.

Good luck figuring out a better solution.

-- JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com
1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05 EE51 79E9 F244 D734 A012 1CEC 7813 9FE9 9942
1A63 gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 99421A63