Re: Broken dependencies

On Sat, 01 May 2010 19:14:52 +0200, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 17:20:56 +0200, Alois Mahdal wrote:
Hello,

because a stupid mistake, I have interrupted apt-get during early
stage of dist-upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze.

Now I cannot get apt-get working and I don't know how to fix it.

[...]

dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin
and /sbin.

Both "locale" and "ldconfig" were shifted from libc6 to libc-bin going
from Lenny and Squeeze; my guess would be that you upgraded to the
Squeeze version of libc6, but you did not yet complete the installation
of libc-bin, so now these important commands (and others) are missing on
your system. (The libc-bin package does not exist for Lenny.)

If dpkg still works then you can try to download libc-bin for your
architecture from http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libc-bin and
install the .deb with "dpkg -i ...", see here:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch02.en.html#_rescue_with_the_dpkg_command

Thanks, Florian.

Unfortunately, dpkg was too broken, so i had to use Ubuntu livecd (because I could not find dpkg at Debian installer CD / rescue mode) to boot and do following:

 1. mount -t ext2 /dev/sdaX /media/root
 # ...and all relevant partitions (/usr, /var, ...) respectively
 2. mount --bind /dev /media/root/dev
# Since dpkg was complaining about missing Debian-exim group, I had to get rid of statoverride:
 3. chroot /media/root
 4. dpkg-statoverride --remove /etc/exim4/passwd.client
# Later I must not forget to restore /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride from statoverride-old
 5. exit && cd
6. wget http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc-bin_2.10.2-6_amd64.deb 7. wget http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc6_2.10.2-6_amd64.deb
 8. dpkg --root=/media/root -i libc-bin_2.10.2-6_amd64.deb
 9. dpkg --root=/media/root -i libc6_2.10.2-6_amd64.deb
10. reboot

After reboot and restoration of statoverride, I can continue with apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade; dpkg seems to work.

Thanks again to you all!