Re: Lite SMTP server/daemon

On Sun, 2 May 2010 04:33:46 +0100
Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat May 01, 2010 at 22:24:13 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> > I couldn't discern, BTW, whether it supports TLS / SSL to an
> > upstream MTA?  I did find this thread:
> >
> > http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.qpsmtpd/2005/07/msg3404.html
> >
> > but I have no idea what the current status of this is.
>
>   It seems like that isn't present yet, the only core TLS support
>  I can spot is a plugin for accepting TLS-wrapped connections not
>  initiating them.

So I haven't been totally wasting my time ( ;) ), since my tmta does
support outbound SSL / TLS connections, and indeed, that was a primary
design goal, since I need to push mail out through Gmail's SMTP
servers, which require SSL / TLS.

>   I've usually used qpsmtpd to process mail then either:
>
>     * Reject it at SMTP time.
>     * Accept it for delivery and write the mail directly to Maildir folders.
>     * Accept it for delivery and pass to exim4 for final delivery.
>
>  (ie. I've never tried to re-deliver to a remote machine via qpsmtpd,
>  only via passing to exim4.)

Got it.  The O'reilly discussion that I saw also mentioned that qpsmtpd
was primarily meant to be used in conjunction with a normal MTA, and
not to replace one.

Celejar