Re: Can't play 24bit/96kHz flac files

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 22:03, James Stuckey <jhstuckey@gmail.com> wrote:

>> * Native capability of sound card can be found from
>> cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
>>
>> * Decoding is done by the player itself, most probably the decoder
>> output format in your case would be 96khz, 24 bit little endian.  If
>> the native rate of your card is only 44100Hz/48000Hz, it can not
>> support this.
>>
>> * In order to play this format this has to be downsampled.  The
>> downsamping could be done either by 1) the player itself, but it
>> completely depends upon the features and capabilities of the player or
>> 2)by the (alsa) driver.
>>
>> So these are your options.
>> * Try out different players as Camaleón suggested.
>>
>> * Many players allow you to specify the output audio device.
>> Try "plughw:0,0" instead of the default one.  This is a special device
>> given by alsa to do audio processing.
>>

> Another possibility would be to down-sample the file and then play it with
> mocp. How does one down-sample a .WAV file?
>
> I tried "mplayer -ao plughw:0,0 file.mp3" but I got:
> No such audio driver 'plughw'
> No such audio driver '0'
> Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
> Audio: no sound

You have that option always.  Decode it user flac decoder to wave
file, then downsample it.  You could encode it back to mp3/ogg etc.
There are many programs to do downsampling.  I think even the
lame/oggenc support downsampling.
Otherwise install the package "samplerate-programs" and sndfile-resample