Re: DVD Paranoia?

On 05/01/2010 03:52 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 5/1/2010 12:45 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 05/01/2010 04:50 AM, markus reichelt wrote:
* Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie"
DVD-Rs and they're all at some point failing.

Try another drive (best would be a dvd burner).

Apart from that, you could try ddrescue and just plain copy the whole
disc to an iso imagefile.

ddrescue or gddrescue?

Also, check out vobcopy, it's my fav
application to backup dvds.

I'll try that.

If you are interested in DVDs under Debian, note that a useful thing to
know about is the videolan project

http://www.videolan.org/

They provide libdvdcss and libdvdplay, useful libraries to install,
which are not included in Debian. (non-DFSG)

I've already installed packages vlc (it's my player of choice) and libdvdcss2.

Are you saying that I should install upstream instead?

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?