Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 05:26:20AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Interesting.  This is the opposite of my experience, where I started friends
> > out on Ubuntu as a way to break them into Linux but they found the amount of
> > updates annoying, and there were some instability issues at different
> > times.  So I switched them to Lenny - sure it took a little more to set up,
> > but now it is set up and stays that way, unlike my/their experiences with
> > Ubuntu.  It's pretty much zero maintenance for me, unlike when they had
> > Ubuntu on their computers.  5 updates a week, if that many?  I'll take it.
> >
> > Plus, if I can use a non-company based OS that won't install, for example,
> > Ubuntu One, without my choice to not install it, I'll choose that path.  I
> > was kinda disappointed to see Ubuntu starting to include bloatware in their
> > last few releases, just my experience though.
> >

> Stability issues and updates are the reasons that I switched _to_
> Ubuntu! Before that it was the early Fedoras. I still think that my
> favourite two Linux OSes were Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu Feisty.
>
> Maybe I will give Squeeze a round before my next install. I've last
> tested only Lenny.

Well, squeeze my be well into the last half of its cycle. They are working
toward a pre-release freeze now.

However, I don't recommend testing without somehow setting up some
qualifications and preparations for yourself.  Mine was to become adept at
using aptitude, which I depend on regarding dependency handling, and to and
develop a plan.

The plan:

1. Make a habit of reading about packages on the Debian site.

2. Learn to read bug reports and watch Debian bug tracking.

3. Install and pay attention to both apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges.

4. Get used to a pool of uninstalled upgrades and use the hold function
liberally.

5. Set aptitude to *not* remove unused or obsolete packages and let the cache
bloat indefinitely (large partition).

6. Set an upgrade schedule that allows time to think rather than rush
upgrades between tasks.

7. Stay behind the curve and read the experiences of other testers.

8. Get ready to submit some bug reports as a contribution to the effort.

Still, squeeze has not been the easiest of testing cycles. And one could
get stuck in an difficult situation for a long time.

We seem to have made some recent advancements in ALSA but I think that the
video on some old Radeons like mine is awaiting a entirely new driver.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/