Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

> Interesting.  This is the opposite of my experience, where I started friends
> out on Ubuntu as a way to break them into Linux but they found the amount of
> updates annoying, and there were some instability issues at different
> times.  So I switched them to Lenny - sure it took a little more to set up,
> but now it is set up and stays that way, unlike my/their experiences with
> Ubuntu.  It's pretty much zero maintenance for me, unlike when they had
> Ubuntu on their computers.  5 updates a week, if that many?  I'll take it.
>
> Plus, if I can use a non-company based OS that won't install, for example,
> Ubuntu One, without my choice to not install it, I'll choose that path.  I
> was kinda disappointed to see Ubuntu starting to include bloatware in their
> last few releases, just my experience though.

Stability issues and updates are the reasons that I switched _to_
Ubuntu! Before that it was the early Fedoras. I still think that my
favourite two Linux OSes were Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu Feisty.

Maybe I will give Squeeze a round before my next install. I've last
tested only Lenny.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com