Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

On 04/08/2010 07:17 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:57:17 -0400 (EDT), briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:09:09 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, does anyone know why Ubuntu users seem to want to use the Debian>
>>> forums?  Don't they have forums of their own?
>>
>> Yes they do, and in fact I find them helpful even though I'm running
>> Debian :-)
>
> I have occasionally found a solution to a problem I'm having on Debian
> by searching the internet and finding the solution posted on an Ubuntu
> forum.  But I never *post* there because I run Debian, not Ubuntu.
> What I don't understand is why Ubuntu users *post* here, when they
> actually run Ubuntu.  According to the OP of this thread, he posted here
> because he posted on the Ubuntu forums first and no-one answered.
> I wonder how common that is, and why.  Ubuntu alleges a larger installed

--gone:-)

I run Ubuntu on my laptop, because I got tired of the manual Nvidia
setup every time the kernel changed.

But I use Debian at work and on systems that don't need any proprietary
stuff.

I've found some good technical help from Ubuntu forums, but it seems to
generally come from Ubuntu "personnel" rather than users.

So, Ubuntu seems to attract a less 'technical' group of users.

And, since Ubuntu uses Debian as its starting point, less technical
users could assume using Debian lists is OK.

The above is guess work based on observation, not critical analysis.

YMMV. ;)

--
Bob McGowan