Re: Good Use for ClamAV

On 2010-04-07 02:51, Freeman wrote:
I'll always be slowly catching up on comp tech.
I was using Knoppix and ClamAV to remove a virus for a friend when the
futility of it all hit me.  The free anti-virus hopscotch game that windows
users play to feel safe.

http://xkcd.com/463/

                          What wasted energy--over an OS I boot into maybe
7% of the time.  They screw up half the time.

By having my wife/kids run Windows from "named" unpriv accounts, using Tbird/Firefox/ABP/Flashblock and not logging into social media sites, we've kept their system virus-free for 5 years.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower