Re: Re: After recent upgrade, starting gdm shows "black" screen

> I have been seeing problem with X not starting properly without using
> startx. you may want to give that a try.
> also you may want to check the /var/log directory for Xorg.log and
> gdm.log (?).

Running `sudo startx` appears to have the same effect as when `gdm` is starting;  I see a black screen with a single, white underscore at the top.

Looking through `/var/log/gdm/:0.log` (yes, there's a colon at the beginning), the only thing that is listed as an error is:
(EE) "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device ""SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad""
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad""
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""Macintosh mouse button emulation""

Looking through `/var/log/Xorg.0.log`, there are similar messages: