Re: Retrieve hardware and modules info..

On 10-04-04 17:03:30, Celejar wrote:
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 15:57:09 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Celejar put forth on 4/4/2010 11:53 AM:
>
> > $ apt-cache show lshw

> >  A small tool to provide detailed information on the hardware
> >  configuration of the machine. It can report exact memory
> > configuration, firmware version, mainboard configuration, CPU version > > and speed, cache configuration, bus speed, etc. on DMI-capable x86 > > systems, on some PowerPC machines (PowerMac G4 is known to work) and AMD64.
> >  .
> >  Information can be output in plain text, HTML or XML.
>
> Other than html or xml output, what advantage does lshw have over dmidecode?
>  Both programs are reading the same data structures aren't they?

Not a clue - I've just been in the habit of using lshw (although I
don't use it all that often).  I'll have to look into dmidecode.

From `man lshw`:

"[lshw] currently supports DMI (x86 and IA-64 only), OpenFirmware
device tree (PowerPC only), PCI/AGP, CPUID (x86),  IDE/ATA/ATAPI,
PCMCIA (only tested on x86), SCSI and USB."

FWIW, I just installed testing's lshw , and Firewire is detected on
my Beige G3 Desktop.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>