Re: Customizing the kernel installation process

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 13:04:34 -0400 (EDT), Brian D. wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:00:58 -0500 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> I welcome all comments.  Am I full of excrement?  Is there something
>>> missing?  What can be improved?  I am especially interested in
>>> hearing from lilo users.
>>>
>>> Here is the link: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
>>> Scroll down to Step 10 and have a good read.  (Unfortunately, it's
>>> fairly long.  But I wanted to treat the topic thoroughly.)
>>>
>>> Commence firing.  Fire at will.
>>>

>> What about this:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
>>

> lilo user here.  works great.  The _only_ gotcha that I ran into was
> forgetting to modify the postinst scripts to point to lilo instead of
> that other loader.  But you clearly talk about this, so my bad.
> that's the link that I tried to use when first trying to build a linux
> kernel the debian way and for some reason I just couldn't figure it out.
>
> Stephen's explanation is much more detailed.  Also the postinst and
> postrm scripts are invaluable.  and for whatever reason, even with the
> extensive explanation I found it _simpler_ to follow.
>
> for the longest time I have downloaded the kernel tarball and built
> outside of debian.  however I'd like to use the debian nvidia packages,
> so I'm trying to build the kernel in the debian framework.  however,
> rebuilding nvidia for the latest kernel has now become a problem (in
> the debian framework), so I'm thinking about dropping back to the
> tarball method.
>
> Maybe I need to be a little more persistent and then write something
> about rebuilding nvidia to complement Stephen's work.
>
> It is very handy having things installed as packages.

I didn't realize you were going to read the *whole thing*.  I was
mainly interested in people's comments on Step 10, which is useful
information even to those using stock kernels.  I didn't realize
you were a user of a custom kernel.

I do cover external module packages in my treatise, but it assumes
that you have the source code.  The proprietary nvidia driver is
partially closed source.  I've never tried to do anything in that
environment.  Maybe after April 15 (tax season is over), I'll play
around with this, since this is of interest to a number of people
on the list.  But right now I'm too busy trying to get my taxes done.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :