lots of unneeded filesystem modules?

I've noticed that after booting, my kernel has loaded almost every
possible filesystem module (minix, qnx4, hfsplus, ...), even though I
don't need anything but ext3 to boot.  Right now I'm going to
blacklist all the others, but it would be nice to know why it's
happening.

I do have a USB-attached printer with an empty card reader that shows
up as a non-existent SCSI disk -- perhaps something is attempting to
auto mount that?  If so, any suggestions on how to disable that
behavior?

Please CC me on any responses since I'm not subscribed. Thanks.