Re: Controlling displays on a multi head system

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 22:10:40 -0400, Frank H. Baker wrote:

> Camaleón:
>
> Many thanks for responding to my query.  Let me try to clear up the
> ambiguities you raise by expanding the explanation of my problem.

(...)

> However, when
> I use, for instance, the Gnome desktop for my console on a third
> monitor, I get panels at the top and bottom of the screens of all three
> monitors when X boots.  I can suppress the panels on the two secondary
> monitors (the ones my program uses), but when my program displays a
> window on those monitors (which I intend to occupy the whole screen),
> the window is capped by a header.  That is what I want to avoid, and
> really I would like not to have the panels and background of the desktop
> displayed on those monitors, though I can handle that.

O.k. I think now I get the full picture, thanks for the detailed
explanation :-)

In one of my computers (running lenny and gnome) I have 2 displays in a
top/bottom layout (one display is on the top of the other).

I use nvidia card with dual DVI-D ouput and a I have chosen a "separate
display" layout, so in one display (the bottom one) I get the full
desktop icons and bottom bar but the display on top is just clean (no
bars neither icons, just the background).

I am using nvidia propietary driver which allows to select that "mode"
under /etc/xorg.conf named "twinview". So I guess you will have to dig a
bit about your card (and driver) capabilities and specify the desired
mode in your xorg.conf file.

What VGA(s) do you have in that machine and what driver is being used?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón