Re: CUPS broadcasting print queue availability

On 2010-04-03 04:17, Nigel Henry wrote:
[snip]
Your printers.conf on the server machine should have a line "Shared Yes".

[snip]
Accepting Yes
Shared No

Got that:
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes

If you have active firewalls on your machines, make sure that IPP is allowed in both directions.

The firewall is WRT54GL.

[snip]

Yes. On the client OS's you should see incoming packets of about 189 bytes every 30 secs. gkrellm shows these, or if you run wireshark, you should see these cups broadcasts from the machine with the printer attached.

there's a bit of output from netstat -a below which shows cups listening on the client machine, which happens to be Archlinux at the moment.

Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     11116  @/tmp/.ICE-unix/2387
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 75386 /var/run/cups/cups.sock unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 9937 @/var/run/hald/dbus-nSiy4b64JL

Or do even client computers need the cups server package?

Yes. I've just looked at that on Archlinux. Trying to print with the cups

And Nigel Henry says no.  Infinite are the arguments of mages...

Don't know if any of the above helps.

It does.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower