Re: CUPS broadcasting print queue availability

On Saturday 03 April 2010 04:10, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did this once a *long* time ago, but don't remember how.  Also,
> I've read the (seemingly relevant sections of the sorely lacking)
> CUPS SAM, and Googled around to no avail.

Hi Ron.

Can't help much on configuring the machine with the printer attached, as I had
problems with cups at the time (new to linux 2003), and used the redhat
config tool on FC2, and there is a checkbox on that to share the printer, but
using the cups (localhost:631) web interface, you should have some option
when setting up the printer on the server machine to share it. I say that
because my printer.conf file on the Archlinux machine has a line as below
"shared No" , which is correct for a machine that is printing over the LAN.
Your printers.conf on the server machine should have a line "Shared Yes".

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.2
# Written by cupsd on 2010-04-03 10:40
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<Printer netprinter>
Info epson c44ux
DeviceURI ipp://192.168.0.230/printers/printer
State Idle
StateTime 1245182001
Type 6
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

If you have active firewalls on your machines, make sure that IPP is allowed
in both directions.

> My server has a print queue that looks like this:
> $ lpstat -v
> device for Dell_3100cn: socket://192.168.1.11
> device for Dell_3100cn@haggis: socket://192.168.1.11
> device for PDF: cups-pdf:/
>
> The server's /etc/cups/cupsd.conf looks like:
> Browsing On
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowseAllow 192.168.1.0/24
> BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255
> BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd
> DefaultAuthType Basic
> <Location />
>    Allow from 192.168.1.*
>    Order allow,deny
> </Location>
>
> I created this on the client:
> $ cat /etc/cups/cups.conf
> ServerName haggis
>

> Shouldn't cups on the server (haggis) be broadcasting network
> messages announcing the availability of it's print queues, and
> shouldn't some program from cups-client be listening?

Yes. On the client OS's you should see incoming packets of about 189 bytes
every 30 secs. gkrellm shows these, or if you run wireshark, you should see
these cups broadcasts from the machine with the printer attached.

there's a bit of output from netstat -a below which shows cups listening on
the client machine, which happens to be Archlinux at the moment.

Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     11116  @/tmp/.ICE-unix/2387
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING
75386  /var/run/cups/cups.sock
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     9937
@/var/run/hald/dbus-nSiy4b64JL

> Or do even client computers need the cups server package?

Yes. I've just looked at that on Archlinux. Trying to print with the cups
daemon stopped results in a "can't find the printer list" message, and the
print button is greyed out. Also netstat -a shows no listening entry for
cups.

Don't know if any of the above helps.

All the best.

Nigel.