Re: convert a bitmap in pdf, into jpg or png.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:04:42AM -0800, Bob McGowan wrote:
> Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 09:07:25AM -0800, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> >> What is recommended for converting a bitmap in pdf, into jpg or png?
> >>
> >> xpdf.man remarks,
> >>   "Save as...
> >>               Save the current file via a file requester."
> >>
> >> Does this mean that xpdf can do the conversion?  What is a file requester?

[snip]

> The OP asked, I believe, for conversion from pdf to jpg/png.
>
> ImageMagick's 'convert' also does it:
>
>   convert abc.pdf abc.jpg
>
> Each page of the PDF file becomes one image file, named abc-#.jpg, where
> '#' is 0 to (pdf pages - 1).
>
> You could then use 'gimp' or some other image editing program to crop
> the page image down to just the desired part.

Dear me... I totally misread the original mail. Thanks for pointing
this out, Bob.

And to the OP, Bob's solution is something which would work well,
though I must also mention another "cheap trick":

1. Open your PDF in any PDF reader.
2. Zoom the section containing your image to the maximum resolution,
   especially if it happens to be a vector graphic.
3. Use a software like gnome-screenshot or ksnapshot to take a picture
   of the current screen.
4. Use Gimp or a similar software to trim the image.

HTH.

Kumar
--
Audience: What will become of Linux when the Hurd is ready?
Eric Youngdale: Err... is Richard Stallman here?