Re: Crashed dd, kill -9 doesn't even kill it.

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:12:09 -0600 (CST)
"Timothy Legg" <debianuser@timothylegg.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have got another interesting problem here.  I found a way to crash
> dd so badly that even kill -9 `pidof dd` won't even phase it.  The
> only way I have found to kill it effectively is to shut down the
> machine.
>
> Scenario:

<snippage>

I had the same thing happen recently. It is as if dd is hitting the end
of the device and then locking up instead of stopping gracefully. I was
able to duplicate the issue with several USB-sticks using both dd and
dd_rescue.

The solution was to tell dd where to stop coping the device. For a 1GB
memory stick I used "dd bs=1G count=1" or "dd_rescue -m 1G"

--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com