Re: Scary article in Wall Street Journal today

On Thu,18.Feb.10, 16:04:09, John Hasler wrote:

> You could, in theory, be tricked into downloading a Linux executable,
> installing it under your home directory, and running it.  It would then
> have access to all of your personal files.

If the compromised account is the same account used to su/sudo to root
it would be quite easy to get the root password.

Just imagine a script that presents a "Password:" prompt, records the
root password, presents a nice "su: Authentication failure" and then
calls the real su.

Getting you to run it could be as simple as changing $PATH to include
"."  (the current directory).

If you are really paranoid you should probably have a separate (user)
account for doing administrative tasks.

I'm not sure if logging in as root on the linux console is more secure
than su/sudo, but it would at least prevent the simple type of attack I
mentioned above.

Regards,
Andrei