Re: Best Video Capture Device for Debian?

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:47:54 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 03:04:08PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> - Did you finalize the disc? Some dvd drives are not able to read dvd
>> or cd media when they have not been properly finalized. Your camcorder
>> should to have this option.
>
> The problem disk is a dvd-rw disk.  I intended and I believe I did
> initialize it in the video mode.  I certainly finalized it, the f
> appears in the disk info screen. Both the finalize and the unfinialize
> options are now unavailable, black and skipped when tabbing through the
> menu options.
>

>> - Did you try by cleaning the dvd/cd disc? Maybe is just dirty, has
>> fingerprints or dust particles that prevent the laser of the driver can
>> make a proper reading.
>
> I'll try cleaning it though I have taken great care in handling it.  I'd
> just like to copy whats there to a hard drive before handling it again.

"Better safe than sorry", I agree :-)

Anyway, as per your first request, LinuxTV¹ holds a very large list of TV
cards and analog capturers and their current driver status which you can
use as first sneak peek for your device search.

Debian wiki² has only one card listed.

¹ Hardware Device Information (right column)
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

² http://wiki.debian.org/TvTunerCard

Greetings,

--