Re: Air compressors vs. canned air

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 08:09:17AM EST, John Hasler wrote:
> Chris Jones writes:

> > What seems to be happening is that I am a rather 'energetic' typist,
> > and those keyboards were never designed to cope with intensive
> > typing in the first place.
>
> Then you need an IBM Model M.  You won't wear it out.

I've tried external keyboards with laptops but they don't work for me.

The wikipedia article is an interesting read, though.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 09:24:39AM EST, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I second that motion!  I have two of them.  I wish I had more.  They
> are the best keyboards ever made, in my humble opinion.  (Or at least
> the best keyboards I personally have ever used.)  Unfortunately, IBM
> has not made this keyboard, or any keyboard, for that matter, in
> years.  But I heard on the news about a year ago that some company was
> making a clone of these keyboards, using IBM's old factory, if I'm not
> mistaken, for high-end typing power users.  The electronics have been
> updated for a USB interface instead of the original PS/2 interface.
> But the key action is identical.  They aren't cheap!  But if your
> computer can handle a traditional PS/2 keyboard connection, and if you
> are lucky enough to find one of the original ones used, you might get
> it for a reasonable price.

An outfit called Unicomp apparently makes them nowadays:

http://unicomp.com

> These are 101-key keyboards, not 104-key keyboards.  They don't have
> the two Windows® logo keys or the menu key.  But who cares!  I never
> use those keys anyway.

They can come in handy as an extra modifier, such as if you need to
juggle extra keyboard layouts, for instance.

CJ