Re: Air compressors vs. canned air

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:24:19AM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> All sound advice and thanks to all for your comments.
>
> Come to think of it, I should have mentioned that I only routinely use
> air on the laptop's keyboard, a flimsy model that vaguely tries to
> impersonate the real thing, with enough space between the key caps to
> let stuff like bread crumbs, hairs, not to mention ambient dust.. etc.
> fall between the keys, which in time is likely to form a nice sticky
> paste on their underside and end up making some of the keys difficult to
> operate.
>
> So, I'm thinking that for this kind of job, provided the ambient air is
> not too humid and I give the compressor a few trial burst away from the
> keyboard to hopefully get rid of most of the moisture and possible oil
> residues, something like a portable car tire inflator combined with a
> vac might work for me.

Just don't go for one of those plug-into-your-cigarette-lighter portable
tire inflators.  They are super slow.  Plus they don't have a tank
built-in, so there is no reservoir of compressed air to rush out the
spray nozzle.  They simply pump air, very slowly, and can do so at high
pressures.

Here is an example of one:
http://www.instructables.com/image/FCNAHBQF23Z39Q5/convert-a-tire-inflator-type-air-compressor-into-a.jpg

You could successfully use one of these if you combined it with a
portable air tank, but I think it would be too slow and would frustrate
you.

Portable air tank:
http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-KT0500-5GAL-Airtight/dp/B0000CBJFA

-Rob