Re: Basic Statistical Tool

On Monday 15 February 2010 13:00:36 Ogya Chief wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I need a basic statistical tool such as the Data Analysis Add-in in MS
> Excel. I have installed MS Office 2007 on Debian Sid but the add-in
> installation fails. I know Gnumeric has similar functions to Excel's but it
> lacks some features for graphing that I need. For example, in Excel, linear
> regression produces graphs in addition to the table of data. I need this
> feature. OpenOffice.org Calc does not have data analysis feature at all. I
> have also looked at R but it has a steep learning curve. I need a tool to
> do an assignment this week.
>
> Are there any tools similar to the Excel Data Analysis tool? What happened
> to KOffice in Sid? apt-cache search koffice does not turn up anything. Any
> help will be very much appreciated.

  I'm unfamiliar with the Excel Data Analysis tool, so I may be
misunderstanding the requirement, but have you looked at Gnu Octave?

  It's very similar to MatLab in its interface, and has quite
powerful analysis tools, although I don't know how good the
statistical suite is.  It certainly has a friendlier learning curve
than R.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net