Re: kernel update

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:03:56 -0500 (EST), Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 07:14:12 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> The
>>
>>    aptitude update
>>    aptitude full-upgrade
>>
>> sequence does not replace a binary kernel directly, no.

>> I should clarify that point, lest someone quote me out of context.
>> It *will* replace a binary *stock* kernel directly.
>
> Sorry, but this is just untrue. Older stock kernels will remain bootable
> (and having a lilo or grub menu entry) until you remove or purge them.
> Currently I've the 2.6.26, the 2.6.30 and the 2.6.32 stock kernels
> installed.
> Only security updated kernels replace the old kernel. In that case
> you'll be notified by the message that a running kernel is being
> replaced, and a reboot should be done asap as the process of updating is
> completed.

I was referring to the case where the package name is the same but the
version is different.  For example, a 2.6.26 kernel will not replace a
2.6.18 kernel.  But, for example, linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 version 2.6.26-19lenny2
will be replaced by linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 version 2.6.26-21.  I believe that
is clear from the context, if you read the entire post.  In the specific
case above we have a new stable point release kernel replacing a security-
updated kernel, which actually occurred a few weeks ago.  This contradicts
your statement that "only security updated kernels replace the old kernel".