Re: kernel update

Stephen Powell schreef:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 07:14:12 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
The

   aptitude update
   aptitude full-upgrade

sequence does not replace a binary kernel directly, no.

I should clarify that point, lest someone quote me out of context.
It *will* replace a binary *stock* kernel directly.
Sorry, but this is just untrue. Older stock kernels will remain bootable (and having a lilo or grub menu entry) until you remove or purge them. Currently I've the 2.6.26, the 2.6.30 and the 2.6.32 stock kernels installed. Only security updated kernels replace the old kernel. In that case you'll be notified by the message that a running kernel is being replaced, and a reboot should be done asap as the process of updating is completed.

Sjoerd