Re: font substitution by acroread

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 17:12:54 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 04:09:22PM EST, Camaleón wrote:
> > >
> > > [..]

> > > A cursory glance via evince tells me that you are probably right about
> > > that, but how can you be sure of it -- with all the font substitution
> > > that goes on behind the scenes, I mean..?

[...]

> I was wondering if there was anything more reliable than just looking.
>
> For instance, I could have sworn that the http:// links in the pdf we
> are discussing used a sans-serif font. I went again through the entire
> document looking for text that did not use Times New Roman and I could
> not find anything.
>
> What I vaguely had in mind is that you select a given string or
> paragraph, and you have an option called "Properties" maybe, that tells
> you everything about said string/paragraph, including the font family,
> style, etc.

The pdfedit tool can be used to do roughly that, but you still need to
know a bit about the internals of PDF files: Pdfedit allows you to
navigate the document tree of the PDF, so you can go to Pages >
$PAGENUMBER > Dictionary > Resources > Font. This will show you a list
of all the fonts used on that page; however, the names will be
meaningless internal designations like "F5". You can further expand any
such font entry to find its FontDescriptor, which (finally!) shows you
font properties like FontName, FontWeight, ItalicAngle, etc.

You can also mark a passage of text to see the associated Tf operators,
which will tell you the internal name of the font, but then you still
have to find out the real name by looking at the Resources of the page
as described above.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |