Re: font substitution by acroread

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:58:39 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:16:09AM EST, Lisi wrote:

>> I have Arial on my Debian Lenny and the document from the URL that you
>> posted does not use it, but an odd font that would be difficult to
>> read.  So it looks as though this solution could not be guaranteed to
>> be effective. :-(
>
> Hm.. same here, it looks like Abadi condensed, a blocky font with lower
> case glyphs that squat close to the baseline and very tall capitals
> towering above them.
>
> Affects the entire document.

The whole document uses "Times News Roman" :-)

Sometimes, the original document ("Microsoft® Office Word 2007" as shown
in the PDF properties) makes a reference to a typeface but is not used in
any part of the document so when performing the conversion to PDF the
font is still referenced but "not visible" at all.

I think this can be the case.

> Portable Document Format indeed.. or does the 'P' still stand for
> proprietory..? :-)

It's a nice format, standard et al, but a good reader makes the PDF user
experience better or worse, and Acrobat Reader is not the one that helps
in that "better experience" task :-P

(IMO, Evince or Okular are far better than Acrobat)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón