Debian installation on laptop with damaged screen

I get picture through the VGA port, but only after XP has
booted. I thought I'd install Debian, but of course the picture
defaults to the laptop's screen, and I cannot see enough
of the picture to progress with the installation.

I tried to see if I could set the default display through the
bios, but the screen is so damaged that that's not an option
either.

So, it seems I'm stuck with XP, unless someone has a clever
idea?

--
Odd