Re: local install with apt-get still producing caches in /var/lib/dpkg/{info,alternatives,info, ...}

On Wed,10.Feb.10, 18:56:49, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> ~
>  I get those "what are you really trying to do?" questions all the
> time. Let me start by explaining to you, why I do things in a certain
> way

It is not rare that when given the *real* problem a different solution
is found which is easier/more efficient/..., that's why I'm asking.

>  I love live CDs and use them all the time. I carry one of them, my
> pen drive and/or my external micro drive almost everywhere in one of
> my pockets. I am not the kind of person that could be carrying a
> laptop around if I have to carry something I would rather carry a good
> book

Makes sense.

>  live CDs actually mount "/" in "/ramdisk" (or similarly) so any work
> you do you may lose since it is not saved in an actual drive
> ~
>  I am trying to tax RAM the possibly least I can, because I usually
> have more than one long running program needing resources in my home
> computer(s)
> ~
>  When I get to some place with a free x86 seat (I teach), sometimes
> you can restart/reboot it, but sometimes you can not. When you can,
> usually you have no way of knowing which drives/partitions may
> correspond to your micro drive

AFAICT removable storage is always mounted in /media/<label> if it has a
label. Or you can add a custom fstab to the Live CD with a LABEL= entry.

My first thought for the use case you are implying would be to install a
complete Debian on a pen drive. Without bothering too much I was able to
install stable (including X, but no applications) in less than 1 GB
without any compression (the filesystem of a Live CD is usually
compressed).

You would need some more for applications and all X drivers, but I think
it should fit in 2 GB and the smallest pen drives I have seen lately are
at least 4 GB. This means a reasonable amount of additional space.

For older computers which won't boot from USB you can use a CD
containing only /boot (I'm doing this on the same machine running from
the USB stick). That would fit on a business-card size CD if you can
find one (or even better a CD-RW).

If you just need some additional apps on the Live CD consider building
your own image (package live-helper), it's not very difficult.

I'm sure other suggestions can come up if you provide more details about
your use case. GNU/Linux and especially Debian is extremely flexible.

Regards,
Andrei