Re: local install with apt-get still producing caches in /var/lib/dpkg/{info,alternatives,info, ...}

~
 I get those "what are you really trying to do?" questions all the
time. Let me start by explaining to you, why I do things in a certain
way
~
 I love live CDs and use them all the time. I carry one of them, my
pen drive and/or my external micro drive almost everywhere in one of
my pockets. I am not the kind of person that could be carrying a
laptop around if I have to carry something I would rather carry a good
book
~
 live CDs actually mount "/" in "/ramdisk" (or similarly) so any work
you do you may lose since it is not saved in an actual drive
~
 I am trying to tax RAM the possibly least I can, because I usually
have more than one long running program needing resources in my home
computer(s)
~
 When I get to some place with a free x86 seat (I teach), sometimes
you can restart/reboot it, but sometimes you can not. When you can,
usually you have no way of knowing which drives/partitions may
correspond to your micro drive
~
 I used RootDir as you suggested and did a few changes that were
explicitly enough reported by apt-get, but then I got the following
error:
~
 E: Read error - read (21: Is a directory)
~
 which is cryptic to me. I included a log of what I did bellow
~
 How can I fix this error?
~
 Thanks
 lbrtchx
~
# apt-get update -o RootDir=/media/sdb2/inst/sw/deb -o
Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/local00_sources.list
Ign file: i386/ Release.gpg
Ign file: i386/ Release
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Read error - read (21: Is a directory)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
~
# cat /media/sdb2/inst/sw/deb/etc/apt/local00_sources.list
deb file:/media/sdb2/inst/sw/deb/arc i386/
~
# ls -l /media/sdb2/inst/sw/deb/arc/i386
total 412628
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    93861 Jan 25 05:51 Packages.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    45730 Jan  8 17:32 acpid_1%3a2.0.0-2_i386.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    75952 Dec 28 21:22 zlib1g_1%3a1.2.3.4.dfsg-3_i386.deb
~