RE: Alt+F7 fails to switch to graphical console (X server) from a text console under some conditions

> Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 22:06:20 -0500
> From: zlinuxman@wowway.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Alt+F7 fails to switch to graphical console (X server) from a text console under some conditions
>
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:11:02 -0500 (EST), Frank McCormick wrote:

> >> Have you checked Alt+F8, Alt+F9, possibly even beyond? On one of my
> >> systems, for reasons that are still unclear to me, GDM occasionally
> >> runs somewhere between tty8-10 after I've logged in and out a few
> >> times. I can only guess it's restarting before it's fully stopped.
>
> > Same thing here - running Debian testing...and after switching
> > back and forth a few times GDM ends up on tty8 instead of 7.
>
> I must confess I never even thought to check that. The next time
> it happens, I'll give it a try. Have either of you come up with
> a consistent scenario that always reproduces the failure?

 Not consistently, but the issue exists on my ubuntu installed laptop as well.

> explicitly stopping and restarting the X server or the GDM daemon.
> I'm just switching back and forth between a text console and the
> graphical console. Has either of you filed a bug report?

 No, but if one could provided insight to where exactly the fault was (what causes the graphical console number to change or become unresponsive, it would help.

> The only reason I haven't asked about this before is that I was
> hoping to come up with a consistent failure scenario. There's
> nothing worse than a bug that can't be reproduced on demand.

 I agree with you on that.