Re: Alt+F7 fails to switch to graphical console (X server) from a text console under some conditions

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:11:02 -0500 (EST), Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 01:01:17 +0000, Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 06:02:30PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been having trouble lately with losing access to my
>>> graphical console. The basic symptom is that I am in the
>>> graphical console, I switch to a text console via Ctrl+Alt+F1, do
>>> some stuff in the text console, then when I attempt to switch

>> Have you checked Alt+F8, Alt+F9, possibly even beyond? On one of my
>> systems, for reasons that are still unclear to me, GDM occasionally
>> runs somewhere between tty8-10 after I've logged in and out a few
>> times. I can only guess it's restarting before it's fully stopped.

> Same thing here - running Debian testing...and after switching
> back and forth a few times GDM ends up on tty8 instead of 7.

I must confess I never even thought to check that.  The next time
it happens, I'll give it a try.  Have either of you come up with
a consistent scenario that always reproduces the failure?  I'm not
explicitly stopping and restarting the X server or the GDM daemon.
I'm just switching back and forth between a text console and the
graphical console.  Has either of you filed a bug report?
The only reason I haven't asked about this before is that I was
hoping to come up with a consistent failure scenario.  There's
nothing worse than a bug that can't be reproduced on demand.