Re: one website gives "address not found" from LAN

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> and finally my resolv.conf (rewritten by dhcp.client when picking up IP
> address from the DSL modem):
>
> adam@isengard:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> domain localdomain
> search localdomain
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 194.74.65.68

Your resolv.conf is pointing to 127.0.0.1 for your primary nameserver.
 Are you running DNS services on your local host?

> adam@isengard:~$ host www.trade2win.com
> Host www.trade2win.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Here, you're querying your primary nameserver for the IP address of
www.trade2win.com.  It's failing to resolve it.

> And then with another nameserver:

> adam@isengard:~$ host www.trade2win.com 4.2.2.1
> Using domain server:
> Name: 4.2.2.1
> Address: 4.2.2.1#53
> Aliases:

> www.trade2win.com is an alias for panna-229.trade2win.com.
> panna-229.trade2win.com has address 208.43.120.229
> Host panna-229.trade2win.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
> Host panna-229.trade2win.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Now you're telling host to ask 4.2.2.1 to resolve www.trade2win.com
and it succeeds.

I'd recommend you check your local host to see if it's running DNS
services.  If it is, you'd need to find out why it's failing to
resolve this host.