Re: A tool for auto amplifying of wav/flac files.

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 16:22 +0100, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 04. 02. 2010 14:57:37 je Adam Hardy napisal(a):
> >
> > How does normalize-audio know that one cd is the sound of pins
> > dropping but the next cd is elephants charging? I mean, I don't want
> > those cds to be literally the same volume, I want them to keep their
> > relative volume difference, but just to adjust the absolute level to
> > a standard.
> >
> > Or is that some Holy Grail that you can't do?
>
> Common sense tells me that any software that wants to normalize audio
> levels, must probably scan the entire sound clip, find the loudest
> passage within the clip, and set that passage to the reference 0 db
> loudness. All the other passages in the clip just get set to an
> accordingly lower level, and that's that. The same goes for entire CDs:
> you find the loudest signal in the entire CD, and then proceed
> accordingly.

FWIW, the replaygain algorithm uses a more advanced psycho-acoustic
model to determine loudness than just "maximum amplitude".

I know you are talking about .wav and .flac, but I've used:

mp3gain
vorbisgain

for normalizing the respective audio files. Both of those packages use
the replaygain algorithm.

--
Matt Zagrabelny - mzagrabe@d.umn.edu - (218) 726 8844
University of Minnesota Duluth

He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot
lose.
-Jim Elliot