looking for digital pen/tablet on Debian Squeeze

Dear Debian users,

I will soon be doing online collaboration online and my department has
offered to purchase a digital pen or tablet or (?) to allow me to
hand-write equations and formulas with the device, such that the
equations/formulae would be transferred electronically to, say,
images, PDF, ...?

I know that such devices exist but I do not know much more than what I
could find after some google searches.  As I continue looking, here
are my priorities, the most important first.

- MUST be compatible with Debian (can't get advice from colleagues,
they use Windows)
- easier is better
- I do not need a Cadillac or BMW, but something like a Honda/Toyota
might be nice.

In my searches I have heard of a Wacom tablet, and I have seen
assorted other digital pens.  I have heard of a Wizardpen Ubuntu
package, and I have gathered that some pens require some tweaking of
xorg.conf.

In short, if someone has a particularly great "success story" that
(s)he would like to share I would be most appreciative to hear about
it.

Thanks, and Debian rocks.
Jay

G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
-3302 Department
-3170 FAX
VoIP: gjkerns@ekiga.net
E-mail: gkerns@ysu.edu