2.6.32-trunk + Hardware failure.

The Story:
I did a new installation of Squeeze on a Compaq Presario V3019US using
kernel 2.6.30, then it came an upgrade to 2.6.32-trunk; after that my
wireless a PCI Express Minicard 802.11B/G HS - Broadcom 4311BG
suddenly died. The OS gave me a message related to eec or ecc before
it happen, and now i have a screen shaking time to time; and a message
saying that my battery could be broken.

Question:
Does kernel 2.6.32-trunk do changes to the BIOS? and if it do it, Why?
I am conscious that Squeeze is a testing version, but i want to know
exactly what is going on.

Thank in advance.

francisco