Re: Postscript: Grub2 in current Squeeze

>> Your regular rants against grub are entertaining. :)

> I wouldn't call it a rant. I have nothing personal against grub-pc,
> per se. I hope they are eventually successful in their project.
> I just think it's too unstable for production use at this time.
> You of course are entitled to disagree if you like.

I use grub because it is the default at work and has been for a while
- and I would lilo if it were the default.

I have been using grub2 since September. I have not used Debian's
grub2 but Ubuntu's, Fedora's, and Arch's have been problem free. I
have installed it at friends' and even at a company where I was
moonlighting (at the insistence of the IT manager and with the proviso
that I would replace at the first sign of problems). So a few people
having problems with grub2 in testing or unstable does not really make
an argument against grub2.

>> The OP said that his error was "BIOS Installed Successfully", which
>> must mean that his box had a hardware upgrade/change and that could
>> easily make any boot loader, linux/unix/windows/apple, lose its
>> bearings.

> Well, if the OP really was performing a BIOS upgrade, then yes,
> you're right of course. But I would think that if the OP really
> was performing a BIOS upgrade that he would say so. It seems to
> be a very significant and relevant detail. (Then again, you'd be
> surprised what people try to hide when they ask for help sometimes.)

> I must confess I glossed over that and figured he must have meant
> "BIOS data check successful" or something like that. I've never
> known a debian upgrade to upgrade the BIOS. And from his description,
> the messages only stay on the screen for an instant. He may not
> have transcribed it right. But theoretically you're right.
> If he really was performing a BIOS upgrade and it didn't go right,
> then any boot loader may have trouble booting.

This message can also come from adding or changing ram, a hard disk
controller, a raid controller... I doubt that it is the result of an
apt-get or update-grub command.