Re: don't upgrade grub or grub-pc ! what's wrong with LILO ?

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 11:59:31 Tom Furie wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:47:17AM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:18:30 -0500 (EST), Tom Furie wrote:
> > > One option would be to boot from a CD (installer, liveCD, whatever),
> > > chroot into Debian and revert grub to an earlier version.
> >
> > As has been addressed in other recent posts, downgrading a package
> > to a previous version once a newer version has been installed
> > is unsupported and often difficult.
>
> In general I agree with you, but in this case it should be fairly
> trivial since very little depends on grub, and the dependencies between
> the versions haven't changed, to purge the current version and install
> an earlier one. I know, for example that 1.98~20100126-1 still works.

Usually a purge followed by a re-install will work as a substitute of a direct
downgrade.  Some packages (e.g. DMBSes) may leave traces behind even after a
purge, so this route is not a guaranteed success.

Of course, if anything depends on the package you are trying to downgrade,
just preforming the purge can become tricky.