Re: Mixed system upgrade

On 2010-02-02 15:30 +0100, recvfrom@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm using a mixed system so that I could support
> libapache-mod-security.  This was all working fine for some time, but
> now an 'apt-get upgrade' results in:
>
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/coreutils_7.4-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/arch.1.gz', which is also in
> package util-linux
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/coreutils_7.4-2_i386.deb

Looks like a missing "Replaces: util-linux (<< [whatever-version])" in
coreutils that nobody noticed so far.  Note that mixing packages from
oldstable and testing is generally unsupported.

> Can anyone point in the right direction to correct this?

Upgrading util-linux to the Lenny version (or higher) first should avoid
this.  If you don't want to do that and are reckless enough,

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/coreutils_7.4-2_i386.deb

should also work.  Be sure to understand the consequences of the
"--force-overwrite" option.

> My /etc/apt/preferences:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 650
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 600
>
> My /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main
>
> #Testing
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main
> #Unstable
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main

This is missing an important point: Etch is no longer stable, for almost
a year Lenny has been.  You should really upgrade to Lenny if you want
to use packages from testing/unstable, installing them on Etch is not
supported, and security support for Etch will end in two weeks anyway.

Sven