Re: Rsyslog template

Michael Biebl put forth on 2/2/2010 2:18 AM:
> On 27.01.2010 22:14, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>

>> /usr/share/doc/rsyslog-doc/html/
>>
>> My Linux machines are all headless, and I've never bothered with trying to
>> symlink all the various html doc directories into lighty virtual directories
>> just to get access to them via a browser.  That is a huge waste of OP time.
>> This penchant for html documentation is a PITA for administering headless
>> servers.  Quite frankly, this really surprises me in the case or rsyslog.  The
>> folks around the world most likely to be making serious use of rsyslog
>> capabilities (not casual use) are the most likely to be running a datacenter
>> full of headless servers without easy access to these html doc directories.
>> Plain text versions of all Debian/Linux system documentation should be included
>> by default.  I'm guessing the rsyslog folks don't provide plain text only
>> documentation, and the Debian rsyslog maintainers didn't want to take the time
>> to create a plain text only version of the docs.
>>
>> How about the case for headless servers that don't run a web server at all?  How
>> then does an admin access this html documentation for rsyslog?  This is a sad
>> state of affairs IMO.
>
> You can use lynx or w3m for viewing html files on the console or via SSH.
> That said, the documentation of rsyslog can certainly be improved. Especially
> the organization is lacking. There is a lot of documentation but not very well
> structured or indexed.
> Rsyslog upstream is looking for help here, especially with regard to docbook,
> which would allow several output formats.
> So anyone with experience in that area is most welcome.

Thanks for the tips wrt lynx and w3m.  However, this rant motivated me to go
ahead and symlink /usr/share/doc/ to a Lighty virtual directory shortly after I
sent the rant above.  I assumed I'll probably run into this html doc problem
again so I took the Nike commercial advice. ;)

I don't really have any experience in this documentation area, and I don't have
much knowledge of rsyslog (obviously), or I'd pony up and volunteer.

--
Stan