Re: Rsyslog template

On 27.01.2010 22:14, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> /usr/share/doc/rsyslog-doc/html/
>
> My Linux machines are all headless, and I've never bothered with trying to
> symlink all the various html doc directories into lighty virtual directories
> just to get access to them via a browser.  That is a huge waste of OP time.
> This penchant for html documentation is a PITA for administering headless
> servers.  Quite frankly, this really surprises me in the case or rsyslog.  The
> folks around the world most likely to be making serious use of rsyslog
> capabilities (not casual use) are the most likely to be running a datacenter
> full of headless servers without easy access to these html doc directories.
> Plain text versions of all Debian/Linux system documentation should be included
> by default.  I'm guessing the rsyslog folks don't provide plain text only
> documentation, and the Debian rsyslog maintainers didn't want to take the time
> to create a plain text only version of the docs.
>
> How about the case for headless servers that don't run a web server at all?  How
> then does an admin access this html documentation for rsyslog?  This is a sad
> state of affairs IMO.

You can use lynx or w3m for viewing html files on the console or via SSH.
That said, the documentation of rsyslog can certainly be improved. Especially
the organization is lacking. There is a lot of documentation but not very well
structured or indexed.
Rsyslog upstream is looking for help here, especially with regard to docbook,
which would allow several output formats.
So anyone with experience in that area is most welcome.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?