Re: concurrent installs of previous + current kernels

Hi Boyd,

On Feb 1, 2010, at 1:14 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Monday 01 February 2010 14:00:07 Lev Lvovsky wrote:
>> What if any is the generally accepted way of maintaining multiple versions
>> of kernels?
>
> Just install each of their packages separately.  Since the kernel team does
> support concurrent installs, the upstream version number is part of the
> package name:

I'll admit ignorance on this one - I'm unable to find anything other than just linux-image-2.6.26 and its variants.  More specifically, I'm unable to glean any more information than just the major versions of the package as it is to be installed.  Upon performing something like 'apt-get install linux-image-2.6.26-2-686', I won't seemingly be able to keep the *currently* installed version of the kernel, and instead, it will simply do an upgrade.

This is totally understandable for most package installs, however with a kernel, keeping the previous version installed is useful (obviously).

I'm not sure if the procedure would involve only downloading via apt-get, and then running dpkg on the .deb file itself.

thanks!
-lev