Re: insserv + apache2 + bind9 = pain

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Mike Bird wrote:
>> But then they abuse the Debian packaging system by "requiring"
>> instead of "recommending" unnecessary packages so that people are
>> forced to use their silly hacks.
>
> The new APT default is that Recommends are the same as Requires and so
> a lot of unnecessary packages are now installed.  Those should now be
> pushed into Suggests.
>
> Bob

This post is pretty much entirely OT, but let's not start the New Year
with innaccurate information. Recommends are NOT the same as Requires.
What's happened - as of Lenny I thought, but perhaps Squeeze - is that
the option to "install recommends automatically" is now turned on by
default instead of off by default. You are, of course, free to change
it back to off before building up your minimal/customized install.

As for all the talk of losing years of wisdom and bug squashing and
what-not, I'm not really sure that's the case, but a debate about the
worthiness of insserv as a successor to all the Snn Knn links is
probably better suited to another thread, perhaps one where more dev's
hang out than here on user. In any event, if you hope to convince
people of that, I think calling DD's "Script kiddies", especially one
who just resolved the bug you noted and I reported within about 12
hrs, probably won't leave them too open to taking your position
seriously.